Thursday, July 2, 2009

Choosing a Title

I so enjoyed choosing a title for my blog. It has been quite some time since I did something so "personal." I would like to share with you how I came to decide on "ONLY CONNECT: Turn Mirrors into Windows."

Teaching and the internet are main focuses in this course, and they're both about being connected to other teachers, students, and latest approaches. Also, "Only connect" is one of the most famous quotations by E.M. Forster, the subject of my ongoing MA thesis. As I was moving from one thought to another with the idea of "connecting" always in the background, my mind drifted to the tragic death of Michael Jackson and his famous, quite meaningful song, "The Man in the Mirror." The idea of the mirror and connecting sounded so paradoxical that I went to Google and typed "education mirror quotes" and clicked on search. I found the following quotation by a journalist called Sydney J. Harris, "The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows." I loved the idea. I thought it was just what I wanted my blog to be: a shift from a mirror to a window.

Hope you'll like it!

4 comments:

  1. I love the quote - thanks for sharing it!

    Yours,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you do. There is a sense of promise and responsibility in this quote. Thank you for viewing my blog :-) I am starting to like the sound of it "my blog"!!!

    Sincerely,
    Abdelnour

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charming title. I hope that you can finish your thesis as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment and your wish.

    ReplyDelete